Yamaha Styles & conversion

Forums Wersi Products Yamaha Styles & conversion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the style converter and Yamaha styles. Recently I got some Yamaha styles (no, not from Carlo. D.O.O.) and converted them. As expected Wersi chooses a “genuine voicing”.

But…

For the bass track an e piano was selected. The result was suboptimal at best 🙂 I tried to choose a bassguitar. But it was very diffiult to find an appropriate sound. On one hand it was a staccato sound (I expected a sustained guitar sound) and on the other I had the feeling that it was an octave to low. Okay, no problem. I found a guitar that sounded good (more or less). And tuning the octave made the result better.

Now my question. Is there a “standard procedure” for correcting the voicing or is it always “try and error”?

I am just curios…

Cheers

Juergen

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by JK.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Juergen,

An interesting topic. I’d be curious to hear what others think. First, let me say that I don’t think there is a formula to finding the right sound. It will vary from owner to owner, and the ultimate judge will be you.

One thing that makes a huge difference is the person playing the original part played it based on the sound they were hearing. For example, if I were to play a bass line using an Upright Bass sound on brand “A,” the sound of the string pluck will slightly influence me and how I play the line. Now, if I play the same thing on brand “B,” which, let’s say, has a more prominent pluck in the sound, I would probably play with a different touch.

We have a ton of MIDI files we have recorded over the years that are great arrangements but were recorded on whatever gear we owned at the time. Taking one of those MIDI files and playing it on our current h/w doesn’t often result in a good sounding arrangement, all because of the subtle difference in how each part was played at the time vs. the sound being used to play it back.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Curt.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Let me also add that GM (General MIDI) is intended to address the issue. Although you can still get into the same sort of issue regarding the pluck sound of a string or how much vibrato is in a trumpet, you will get a trumpet, regardless of the manufacturer.

Of course, you are limited to only a few voices in GM, and every manufacturer wants to make their Trumpet stand out from the others, so they offer Trumpet2, Soft Trumpet, BB Trumpet, etc., which brings us right back to your original question – which one is the correct one?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Curt.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Yamaha Styles & conversion