Sample Volume Level

Forums Wersi OAX Samples Sample Volume Level

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Curt.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Just curious. When creating samples for OAX – does anyone have any suggested recommended volume dB levels for the setting of the sample. Note: this is within the sample creation editing program used and nothing to do with QAX. Obviously the hotter the basic sample is the more there is a risk of overloading the OAX sound system when the sample is loaded into the organ.

Foe example: I bought some samples from Leigh Wilbrahman’s SoundPack web site. They are very nice and can be recommended – but I notice the volume slider on OAX has to be turned down to around 50% when I use them relative to the OAX inbuilt sounds.

So I wondered if anyone has any suggested volume level when creating the sample – e.g. -1.5db

Thanks
    Barry

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

First, I didn’t know that Leigh had samples for Wersi. I thought they were for Tyros. I need to go check out his stuff.

Oddly enough, we were comparing levels of samples coming in our next pack when your question showed up.

So, I think the answer is – It depends!. We find that some sounds “cut” though better than others, even if they are at the same level.

How’s that for a less than helpful answer? 🥴

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Leigh doesn’t have a vast range of Wersi samples – just a set of Klaus and Theatre organ sounds. I bought the Wersi set and they are nice.

> How’s that for a less than helpful answer? 🥴

Hmmm- I’ve had worse! .. I said before that I have been using the Sample Robot sampling software and I emailed the author last year for recommendations on sample level and this was his reply:-

In general it’s a good idea to have a high level but some samplers might clip easily when you normalize to 0 db and play several notes at the same time. So I recommend to keep a headroom of at least 1.5 db. E.g. if you get a max. peak of -6 db in the analyzing process you could do a gain change for all samples in the project of +4.5 db.

Barry

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Barry,

Thanks and an interesting data point. I’m still not sure I have an answer. I’m working on some demos for the next vintage sample pack and setting them to pretty much the same output level, yet as I mentioned, it’s not quite that simple (at least to me) as some of them can sound louder/softer when just listening vs. watching levels/meters.

We avoid normalization and generally keep things at -1 (True Peak) and -14 LUFS, but as you can see from these random screenshots, we were just a tad over the LUFS target when I clicked “capture.” the first time. Things were a little closer to what we wanted on the second one.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by immusic.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Curt,
    Just a observation on the fact that some sounds seem to cut through better than others. As a test – I sampled a VST of a real Hammond B3 and got qute a nice sound which sounded really good on the Wersi – e.g. deep and percussive. But when I switched off the OAX touch sensitivity which I thought would be right for such a sound – the whole thing flattend out and the percussivness all but dispappeared. i.e. It suddenly lost all life.

Barry

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

My thoughts are that the original sample is velocity aware. I’m assuming that you created different layers triggered by different velocities when you created the sample?

By having the Wersi set to velocity on, you can “access” the different layers of the original sample. When disabled on the Wersi, you get only the 127 level of the sample.

I agree with you. By default, you would not expect an organ sound to be touch-sensitive.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

I may be wrong – but, being organ sounds, I’m fairly sure I recorded them at a single level (127) – which is why I was surprised by my observation. Of course – it may have been all in the mind (although little is these days!!)

Barry

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Barry,

I have been working on our next Vintage sample set, and you brought up a good point regarding the overall volume level compared to factory sounds in OAX. I never thought about that on the first two packs we released.

The first is to get each sample close to other samples in each pack. Once that is done, I find I need to adjust -2dB overall, which appears to get me pretty close to sounds in the organ.

A final test this afternoon to see if that will be the final adjustment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi OAX Samples Sample Volume Level