Reverb settings

Forums Wersi Products Reverb settings

Tagged: ,

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Hi

I’m confused at the function of the two reverb settings, Reverb 1 & 2, which are both available.

I understand the concept of reverb, as well as “wet” and “dry” samples (i.e. “wet” sampled with natural acoustics such as sampling a cathedral organ or “dry” sampled without room acoustics such as an electric guitar).

I can also understand how one lot of reverb can be applied to both wet and dry samples but I don’t understand how Reverb 1 & 2 function as BOTH seem to be available for each sound (rather than just one). How do they interact? Does one over-ride the other?

Thansk to anyone who can explain !!

Paul

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Paul,

An interesting question. I’ve messed around with them in the past and didn’t understand or hear what was happening. I did find this comment in the manual:

“you will find controllers for reverb 1 and reverb 2, which allow you to adjust the outputs of the effect devices, also called RETURNS. For the vast majority of sounds, the reverb 1 has been used. So don’t be surprised that not much happens when you push up Hall 2.”

A little unclear, but I’m assuming in the above comment that “Hall 2” = “Reverb 2”?

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Thanks Curt

Likewise, I can’t hear or udnerstand the difference and the manual isn’t much help.

Does it imply that only Reverb 1 or 2 works for a sound?

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Paul,

I have a little more information for you. Since I can’t include images easily here, I posted over on the blog instead. Take a look and see if it helps?

Multiple Reverb Effects – Wersi OAX

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Thanks Curt

Wasn’t sure where to best post my reply for conitnuity of the thread so I’ve included it below as well as on the blog.

I haven’t saved any as my own configuration but I did have a play about with the different standard choices originally and then got confused as to the inter-actions between these settings, Reverb 1& 2 together AND use of the sliders !

So, it seems that
    (1) you can configure Reverb 1 & 2 to the standard choices (Normal, Long, Short etc) or
    (2) customise these to your own taste and
    (3) save them as a User Effect Preset.

Then, I presume that choosing the “from Slider” setting for Reverb 1 or 2 applies the overall setting from (1) or (2) between 0-100% ? This still seems a bit counter-intuitive as it then over-rides your chosen setting (eg Normal) unless you choose 100%?? So, would 20% slider for Normal equate to 100% of Short for example??

I’m still unclear how Reverb 1 & 2 then interact – do you just use them independently and select 0% slider on 1 and 100% on the other?

Sorry if I’m being a bit slow amd missing something here !!

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

I must admit that it does seem strange to have 2 separate reverbs – and I have always assumed that both can be active at the same time and that they both just work on the sound together one after the other. Indeed, Curts response above seems to confirm that view.

But actually its not as strange as it might seem. This is just my take on it – and it may not be the official reason. But just because you have 2 reverbs – you don’t HAVE to use both at the same time – although you can and indeed I do sometimes. I can think of a real world example: Assume you want a sound combination such as piano layered with a string sound. Maybe you want the piano to sound clear and well defined like its in a room with you. In this case use Reverb1 with a room reverb set at low level of Reverb (Reverb 2 level=OFF for piano). If you wanted the string sound to be soft, slushy and all enveloping – then maybe set Reverb2 (Reverb 1 level=OFF for strings) on this sound set with a church type reverb with a higher level of reverb. This would give the desired effect of a clear piano surounded by a sea of strings. May not be a great sound though – but this is a theoretical example.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Barry – I think you nailed it. I kept struggling with the concept of having two reverbs on a single sound. While OAX will let you do that, it doesn’t make sense. However, the example you give does make sense, and it works.

I just tried it with a Guitar sound (Upper 1) using a very short reverb, and then on Upper 2, I selected a string sound and set that to a church/hall reverb with a long delay.

Paul – Give that a try and see what you think?

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Thanks guys

Now we’re getting somewhere!

If that’s the case, I assume the overall Reverb 1/2 setting apply to the whole organ i.e. every sound chosen (and wherever allocated eg manuals or pedals) and the sliders then allow some further customisation?

And all amended settings (for Reverb 1/2 choice and individual sound choices) can then be saved in a Total Preset?

I’ve scoured the manual and Para 7.10.3.1 on p133 of the latest User Manual for OAX V2.85 describes the Reverb section and operation a little more but still doesn’t explain the inter-action of Reverb 1 & 2 but I think Barry’s explanation makes sense. So, maybe it’s just a way of offering more creative control over individual sounds and overall reverb settings.

Defintiely Curt – now I understand it a bit more.

I’m going to Allens Music organ weekend next month in the UK and I beleive Uli from Wersi will be there and available to answer some questions so it may be a good opportunity to confirm our understanding !!

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Paul,

Thats interesting – I too would have gone to Allens weekend had it not been for life under covid as I’m not yet quite ready to venture to events. But maybe next year. BTW: I live near Norwich. So the other person to talk to if you get a chance is Robert Bartha (my absolute favourite organist) who is playing at the event. I saw him play a couple of years ago and he performed a breathtaking detailed piece based on the music from the Elton John life story film. That had masses of piano in it and it sounded extremely realistic. So it would be intesting to know what he uses for a piano sound and how he goes about using it to best effect. Just a thought.

Anyway – enjoy!!

Barry

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Paul – If you run into Uli, tell him hello for us. We chat with him from time to time via e-mail. I would love to spend an hour or two discussing various things about OAX.

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Barry
    Yes – I was in two minds about going but I’ve been double jabbed so thought I’d take a chance to mingle again! I’ve heard Robert Bartha play live at the UK Oktoberfest in 2019 and he was brilliant – I asked him about how he got his fabulous string sound and he said he tried to replicate the orchestra instruments positions and pitch range across the keyboard – I tried to replicate it but couldn’t ! I’ll try and ask him about his piano sounds to see what he uses and feedback.

Curt
    Will do. Would be great to see you there Curt – maybe it’s worth a short “hop” across the pond ??!!

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

HI Paul

Use 3 of the same string sounds that you like and set one an octave lower and one an octave higher, which gives a nice spread over the keyboard. (Use the volume/manual/sound controls to fine tune)

Bill

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Paul,

I too was at the 2019 Huntingdon OktoberFest – so we might have even spoken. It was the best organ event I have been to ever – so – its a great pity its not going to be repeated.

To continue Bill’s suggestion on mixing sounds. Add the same sound twice, but detune one of the sounds a little by ear. It will thicken the sound up.

The old organists suggestion of adding a small amount of 8′ organ flute with tremelo to strings – again thickens the string sound up. Bring the flute volume up so that you are just aware that something has happened – but it should not be obvious.

Barry

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Thanks Bill/Barry
    Will give your suggestions a try. I have tried using the de-tune button before and layering several string sounds together but it didn’t seem to make a sufficient difference – I wasn’t sure how much to de-tune up & down so maybe I’ll experiment again.

Barry
    Yes – it was the first Wersi one I’d been to for a long time and I really enjoyed meeting Franz Lambert after seeing him in concert with my Dad over 40 years ago! He was awesome – playing in the late night bar for around 4-5 hours with hardly a break (and not a sheet of music in sight!) – incredible. Agreed – such a shame it was the last one but, hopefully, Allens will take up the reins with Wersi’s help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Reverb settings