OAX

Forums Wersi Products OAX

Tagged: ,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

As of the date of this post, the current state of the art offered by Wersi.Available in a single keyboard and a range of organs from spinet size up to the three manual OAX-1000.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by immusic.
    Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi All,

How do you close the “Music Achive”??
    On main Screen touch the top preset box and hold, go’s into Music Archive but how do you get out and back to the main screen – the only way I’ve found is to select and save one.
    Then delete the preset.

Derek…….

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Derek,

Just touch the words “Music Archive” to toggle back to the “Total Presets” screen.

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Thanks Curt, The simple things are always the hardest.

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi All,

I’ve been off the Wersi site for a couple of years having a muck around with Bohm Organs.
    Now back after I got hold of a used OAX1 with L/Keyboard & Pedals.
    I seem to remember on my old 700 that the Anti-Virus Alert kept coming up asking you to upgrade / out of date. Now getting this on my OAX1 also asking to upgrade Windows defender. Was there ever a way to stop this pop-in up by going into Windows settings. Since I retired 11 years ago I gave up with Windows and only use Apple Mac – the only PC I have is in the OAX1.
    I’ve a look in set up but can’t find anything??

Regards,
    Derek……

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Hi Derek,

Sadly I don’t have a solution for you other than to say you should not be getting any warnings as far as I know. I’m basing that on our Sonic, which has never complained about Windows or the level of any of the utilities such as AV.

My first thought is a registry hack of some sort that would disable the messages or checking of the various software levels.

Anyone following that is a Windows expert?

Steve
    Participant
    @steve

Hi Derek,

I also have the same messages as you on my 500.
    It appears after around 20-30 minutes of playing.
    I don’t know if,but maybe it is as simple as turning off notifications in windows defender.I haven’t the confidence to go into the the windows side of things.The messages only appear for a few seconds so I just ignore them.
    Sorry I can’t offer a solution.

Regards
    Steve

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

On Windows select the Start button then go to Settings, System, Notifications & Activity and you can turn off all notifications from there.

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Thanks Bill.

Have done that before but not for a long time – hopefully its OK now.

Regards,
    Derek…..

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

For reference, I pulled up my settings, and they are attached. The notification list looked a little “light” compared to a current Windows 10 config, so I pulled up “About.”

Derek, out of interest, are you at the same Windows level? Mine is untouched from delivery way back on 10/28/2016, except I did upgrade to 32GB of memory.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Curt,

Mine is now set the same as your attachment ( all Off ).
    No Upgrades have been completed since 2016, so hopefully all is now OK.
    I think the RAM has been upgraded to 16GB as the memory board is a Crucial.com board.
    Note: only had the OAX 1 since just before Xmas, not sure of the history Etc.

Also I upgraded to 2.80.01 today, although it said was completed correctly I could not run.
    So I reloaded the files using all 5 files and did a complete rebuild so far running OK and
    I’ve got a lot more factory presets than before ( lucky I did a backup ).
    As I have not owned the keyboard for that long had not saved many user presets so starting as a new factory reload and starting afresh, will see what happens????

Regards,
    Derek…..

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Hi,

With reference to Windows Defender. Obviously if the organ is not connected to the Internet then you are likely not to require anti-virus software – although I guess if you used a USB stick (e.g. for styles) then there is a potential route into OAX. However, I’m not convinced this is a real risk (if any). Sonic seems to be quite tolerant of not doing Windows updates (and I wish I could apply this to my real computer which seems to thouroughly enjoy connecting to MS – much to my annoyance!). Anyway – Windows/MS can be quite sneaky so you have to watch it. As an example: I decided to authorise my purchased copy of the Korg Triton VST that I was messing around with on the Wersi – and I had to connect the Wersi to the internet for no more than 30 seconds to allow the Korg Software to connect to the Korg server for the authorsation. This it did with no problems and within less than a minute I disconnected it again. The next day when checking something or other – I noticed that Windows defender had actually downloaded the latest anti-virus signatures in that 30 second interval. Sneaky or what?? So its left me wondering what might happen if the organ accidently got connected for a longer period?

Barry

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Barry,

Around 3 years ago I had a Used 700 which had a few problems and Wersi ask me to leave on line so that they could sort out etc. During that time almost a day the whole windows upgraded to the latest version. After that the virus warning was flashing up every day.
    After several try’s I did manage to stop this in settings but could not remember how as I now only use Apple Mac. So far I have not seen it up again after upgrading and turning notifications off. Lets hope……

Regards,
    Derek….

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Barry,

For reference, my Sonic is connected 100% of the time. Yep, I fully understand that is against best practices and the Wersi recommendation. Why do I leave it connected? It’s to allow ease of use in the studio to transfer files and connect to Teamviewer. Granted, I could set up a subnet so that IP didn’t have internet access, but I never seem to get around to that.

Here’s a screenshot of Defender levels on my Sonic. Far as I know, it is not actively updating those files.

Out of interest, what levels does your unit show?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Picking up a couple of things

1) Curt: I looked for the Windows Defender details you asked for in my Sonic – but I cannot find the equivalent anywhere. My version of Windows is dated 2018 – and they have changed the structure of this section fairly radically – so either it has been removed or they have hidden it away somewhere else. I tried to find it on my normal Windows computer where I have more control – and it I could not locate it.

2) I have made a bit further progress with Rich’s VST screen disappearing trick. I can get the VST host sceen back – but not the VST instrument’s screen itself. I am coming to the conclusion that it may be the VST instrument itself that is misbehaving and is disappearing – hmmm! – need to think. The VST intrument still sounds – so its not exiting.

Barry

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Barry,

I would agree. I looked at a Windows virtual machine that I keep up to date, and it (Windows) looks totally different regarding updates and the options for defender/AV scanning, etc.

It is not clear that Wersi has installed different Windows levels as time moves forward or if some of the instruments were updated along the way by previous owners? I don’t recall if you are the original owner or not?

In my case, I did change the format of the date and time and the timeout value of the screen. Also, I have installed and un-installed a handful of VST’s. Other than that, the base Windows is “as-shipped” from Germany.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Hi Curt,

Yep – I’m the original owner (2018) – obviously more money than sense!!! I certainly did change it from German to English. I can’t remember whether I changed the date format as I suspect the German and British English layout may be the same (I just can’t handle the US layout 🙂 . I have installed and uninstalled a couuple of test VSTs – but otherwise I have made no change and its certainly not connected to the Internet routinely.

For interest – When I first had the Wersi I emailed them to ask about backups and windows update and here is their answer:-

Q: Do you have any recommendations on how to perform a full backup of Windows itself – rather than just OAX.

A: You can copy the entire WERSI folder. If your own installations are added, you need to create a Windows backup. [WHICH I DID!!!}

Q: Related to the backup question above – what happens if Windows or the disk drive dies (as we all know they can)? There is no apparent backup media (e.g. CDROMs) supplied. Also – what happens about Windows update – is the organ set to disallow updates or should they be allowed to happen (I would have thought not!)

A: We never had the case that a hard drive was broken, except when a customer fiddled with it himself. If that happens, you’ll get a new hard drive with us, equipped with the drivers for your motherboard. Windows updates can be made. We do not recommend the installation of programs outside of VST programs.

Interestingly the Windows update comment is contrary to what folklore says and also my dealer. So maybe it does not matter – although I certainly do not do WU. [DISCLAIMER: Others: Your decision – Still don’t take this comment as gospel – if in doubt check it first!!!]

Barry

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Barry,

I just heard from Wersi. They have been monitoring quietly in the background. This answers most of my questions on why various owners see a slightly different Windows environment.

1- Wersi delivers a musical instrument based on Windows.
    2- They create a Windows master hard drive. This is used for the production of the instruments.
    3- This master hard drive will be adjusted by Wersi every 6 months if necessary.
    4- All Windows updates offered by Microsoft can be installed.
    5- Which Windows version is installed has absolutely NO influence on the OAX system !!!
    6- In addition to German, English, French, and Dutch are also installed on the Windows master. The Windows language selection does not influence OAX and is only of interest to customers who use the Windows interface.
    7- The “Time & Language” and “Region” sections impact the OAX system. This affects the time and date display on the OAX surface.
    8- The format of the date display influences the OAX system. The regional format “English (United Kingdom)” must be set here. Otherwise, there will be error messages during new installations and updates.
    9- When installing other music programs, care must be taken that these programs do not make any changes to the audio. This does not happen when installing VST instruments. Some music programs can install a standalone in addition to the VST version. This could lead to changes in the audio sector.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Hi Curt,

I’ve only just seen this – and as you addressed it to me specifically, then just for the record: I have not changed the regional format from anything other than German to English (United States) [just verified!]. I would never, and have never, intentionally changed anything away from the default settings. I only made the change from German to English (US) on the basis I could not tell anything about what I was doing at the Windows level (e.g for future VST installation, connect to WiFi for the future, etc) and then only specifically after asking Wersi if it was OK to do so. I worked in IT support for 35 years and was a software developer for 20 years – and would have skinned anyone who messed about with settings like this as I’ve seen the side effect of tinkering too many times. Nope: It should be near enough pristine!

Its really nice to know that Wersi are showing an interest in this forum.

Thanks
    Barry

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products OAX