Logic Pro

• This topic has 17 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Curt.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Logic Pro is a powerful, full-featured music app with all the tools you need to create professional-quality music productions. You can record, arrange, and edit audio and MIDI regions, add high-quality effects, mix your music in stereo or surround, and export the final mix in a variety of formats for distribution.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

FYI – If you own any products from Output, you should have received an e-mail from them, but just in case you missed it, they say:

“Please wait on updating to the new macOS Big Sur. We are still working on testing and confirming capabilities with our products. For now, it is best to stick with your current version. We will announce when it is safe to upgrade. Thanks!”

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by immusic.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

macOS Big Sur: NEED TO KNOW
    Apple recently announced that the launch of macOS Big Sur will be on the 12th of November, 2020.
    We’re working to ensure full compatibility, and we’ll update you as soon as that process is complete. In the meantime, you may have technical issues when using NI products with this new operating system.

Please click below for more information regarding your NI products and support for macOS Big Sur.

More Info

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Logic Pro 10.6 brings with it a new name (no more X), a new app icon, support for the new Silicone Macs, support for Big Sur, support for Novation LaunchPad controllers, and direct access to Step Sequencer in Logic Remote. Since Big Sur is now it, Catalina is the “legacy” version they still support.

More Info

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Just installed Picked Acoustic from Native Instruments yesterday – WOW!

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

If you run on a Mac and use Native Instruments “stuff,” this is a long-awaited update. Check the Native Instruments support page for full details.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

This is a very basic question. Is there a way to adjust volumes of parts in an audio recording that was recorded on a Wersi OAX800? When I selected the Sequencer on the Wersi, it will load a midi file but not an audio file.
    Or, do I need to get an external software program like Logic Pro to first make a midi file?
    If I go this route, do you recommend using a PC or a Mac?
    Most of the time when I record, I play everything live one time using Wersi / Ketron. I would like to experiment with laying down separate tracks.

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Hi Don,

Since this is posted in a topic about Logic Pro, you can guess we are a little biased in our answer. 😀 I 100+% recommend going with a DAW running on a computer vs. working with onboard recording software included with any keyboard. Some offer more features than others but are still limited in what you can do when working in a dedicated DAW.

Although we are doing all our recordings using Logic, there is nothing wrong with using a PC. If you already own a PC, I would recommend taking a look at Cakewalk. The best part is it’s free! https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk#home

If you are using Apple products, you can take a look at GarageBand. It’s also free. You can think of it as the baby brother to Logic Pro.

Regardless of which computer/software combo you decide to go with, you will also need an audio interface (if you want to record audio directly from either your Wersi or Ketron). As you mentioned, the other option is to record using only MIDI. Most audio interfaces will also have MIDI ports on them, allowing for the best of both worlds.

We currently use interfaces from Focusrite, although the are many others on the market.

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

I have a couple more questions.
    I am planning to use Logic Pro X on a MacBook with Focusrite (thinking of Scarlet 4i4)
    1. Is there a way to connect Focusrite to Wersi OAX 800 via Midi without disconnecting Ketron SD90 from Wersi Midi? Now I have Wersi Midi 1 & 2 outs going to Ketron Midi 1 & 2 in? I don’t know if OAX 2.85 effects how to use the Midi connections.
    2. I have Bose speakers connected to the MacBook. Will I need to connect Focusrite Line Outs 1 & 2 to separate monitors or to Wersi audio in L & R?
    I’m still a novice at this and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
    Thank-you,
    Don

Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

One other question:
    Can I also set up the capability to play sounds from the Logic Pro X library on the Wersi without effecting the Ketron / Wersi midi connections?
    Thanks,
    Don

Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

Ok, after brainstorming this with my son, would this setup work and retain the Ketron functionality?
    Wersi MIDI 1 Out to Ketron MIDI 1 In
    Wersi MIDI 2 Out to Ketron MIDI 2 In
    Ketron MIDI Out to Focusrite MIDI In
    Focusrite MIDI Out to Wersi MIDI 2 In
    For Audio:
    Ketron Out L to Wersi Audio In L
    Ketron Out R to Wersi Audio In R
    Wersi Out L to Focusrite Line Input
    Wersi Out R to Focusrite Line Input
    Focusrite Line Output to Bose L1 External Speaker L
    Focusrite Line Output to Bose L1 External Speaker R
    MacBook to Wersi MIDI USB
    MacBook to Focusrite
    Will this solve the questions I originally asked?
    Thanks so much for reviewing this so I can figure out what items I need to purchase and if it will be practical to use this setup.
    Don

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Hi Don, Let me start with the easy question. Yes, you can use the Wersi as a MIDI controller and access the software instruments in Logic. Matter of fact there are some decent sounds included.

Now, on to your cabling question… I need to read it a few more times.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Don,

Audio Connections. Assuming you go with a Scarlett, I would use that as your audio “hub”. The Scarlett will attach to the Mac via USB. Once you do that, you will have the option to use that as the audio output device for the Mac. I assume the Bose are powered speakers? If that is true, connect the Bose up to the Line Outs of the Scarlett. Next, connect the Line Outs of the Wersi and Ketron to the inputs on the Scarlett.

At this point, all of your audio sources will be routed through the Scarlett, which will send all the output to the Bose.

On a side note, an app will be installed on the Mac to set up the Focusrite that will allow you to mix the levels to some degree. You probably won’t need it other than the default settings, but just so you are aware of that.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Curt.
    Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

Curt,
    Just to clarify one thing I wasn’t clear about. I have small Bose shelf speakers normally connected to the MacBook. I also have large powered Bose L1 external speakers connected to the Wersi. I don’t use the internal Wersi speakers.
    When you said “all of your audio sources will be routed through the Scarlet, which will send the output to the Bose”, did you mean the large external Bose speakers?
    Thanks
    Don

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Don,

OK, let’s dive into the MIDI connections. This can get tricky, but it is 100% doable. Probably the most crucial question is how do you think you want to use things? I think this topic started as you are interested in recording yourself and then playing with whatever you recorded?

I’m pretty sure I recognize the Wersi Out1 & 2 going to Ketron In1 & 2 from some videos I did a couple of years ago. The real goal there was to control the Style section of the Ketron using the lower manual of the Wersi, much like you control the onboard Wersi style section.

As you know, Ketron In1 & In2 have different functions and allow access to different voices and sections of the Ketron. I no longer have any Ketron gear, so I can’t comment on what OAX 2.85 changed, if anything, in this particular configuration. I’m going to guess it will still work the same.

You mention Ketron Out to Focusrite In. Since you have an SD90, I don’t think you will do much with MIDI data being sent out of the Ketron. If you had an SD9 or one of the other Ketron keyboard models, MIDI out would allow you to use the Ketron as a MIDI controller.

The Focusrite MIDI out to Wersi (either In1 or In2) will allow you access to the sounds in OAX from Logic. For example, if you record something from OAX via MIDI into Logic, you use this connection to have Logic playback whatever you played.

You will need to work out what MIDI channels the various sound sources do/don’t respond to. For example, if you set up Upper1 on OAX to send on MIDI channel 1, do you want it to play the SD90 or trigger a software instrument in Logic (or both?)

You might consider just recording audio from both the organ and the Ketron into Logic. That will eliminate most of the MIDI connections (and possible frustrations!) The audio connections on the Focusrite mentioned in one of the earlier posts will allow Logic to access the audio output from both Ketron and Wersi.

If I remember correctly, the SD90 has a MIDI Thru on it? This might/might not meet your needs, but I’m thinking MIDI Out(s) of the Wersi to MIDI In(s) on Ketron. MIDI Thru on Ketron to MIDI In on Focusrite. Another thing I don’t remember is if the Ketron Thru Port ties to MIDI In1 or MIDI In2. That will make a difference in your results.

I would start simple with only using one MIDI Out to In and verify you get the expected results. Another thing I would do is download “MIDI Monitor” and install it on your Mac. It will help a TON with debugging and let you see the MIDI data running through your studio. https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

Are we having fun yet?

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Don,

Your speaker comment helps. There is clearly no right answer. In my setup up, the Mac, Logic & Focusrite are the heart of our setup. I find it WAY easier to sit in a comfortable chair with a full keyboard, mouse, and large monitor when editing and to work in Logic. Also, remember that I work 95% of the time with tracks that Ric sends me vs. recording myself.

It is possible to do all of this while sitting at the organ console, but I don’t have a setup that allows easy and comfortable access to all the different devices. In other words-I’m set up to work from the computer vs. the organ.

Sadly I only use the internal speakers on the organ, so I’m not familiar with the steps to switch from internal to external. Assuming that is straightforward, could you use the “big” Bose when you want to play just the organ, and then when you get into a “Logic Recording” session, switch the organ over to using the config I mentioned?

Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

Curt,
    Thank-you. This should get me started. I appreciate your help more than you may ever realize. Watching your videos and hearing your explanations helped convince to buy the Wersi OAX800 and Ketron. This opened up a whole new world for me now that I am retired and have plenty of time to enjoy music!
    Don

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Glad to help. Feel free to ask questions as you go. There are plenty of smart folks who follow along and can weigh in.

As I mentioned, our setup is quite different from yours so what I suggest may not make much sense in your configuration, The good news? There is a ton of flexibility in what can be done.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.