Kontakt 6

Forums Wersi Products Kontakt 6

• This topic has 21 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Curt.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi Curt,

as already mentioned, today I bought Kontakt 6. Now I have a real problem. I cannot find the DLL. I guess you have no experience with version 6. But at the end of the day it should be more or less the same than version 5 installwise.

Do you have any idea. You mentioned that it is necessary to install the DLL in the Wersi plug ins folder. My problem is that I even can´t find the DLL.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Uh-Oh!

Give me a few minutes to fire up the Sonic and poke around a bit. I do run version 6 on the Mac. It’s a little different than running on Windows, but I agree with you, and it should be pretty much the same as V5 was on Windows.

I’ll update this post in a bit.

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

…okay, my bad.

You have to start Native Access. This tool will start the installation process. During this process you are able to determine the location of the .dll storage…fascinating…

Cheers

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Ah, Good, you are back on the correct path. Carry on, and keep us posted as you make progress.

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

…part 3 of the adventure.

Meanwhile it´s evening in Germany. I can tell you, it´s not fun to install Kontakt on a Windows system. Eventually I had to modify Windows security settings temoprarily and finally start in the save mode. Otherwise you wouldn´t be able to download the current version of Kontakt.

It´s achieved now. But yet there are no instruments loaded it´s just the bare Kontakt software. Good news is that I managed to get it embedded into OAX.

I hope from now on the fun part begins 😉

And Curt, thanks for being part of my journey.

Cheers

Juergen

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JK.
    JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

…well, let me add one piece.

Before I started I installed VNC server on the Sonic so that I can operate OAX from my office pc.

Unfortunately Kaspersky isn´t amused about unknown network traffic. So I had to deal with the security software as well until it finally accepted the remote control of the Sonic in the home network.

At the end of the day I just wanted to add some instruments and voices to the Sonic. I didn´t want to become a software engineer…

Cheers

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

You download the software you want on your main computer and save it to a USB drive, then you load it into the Sonic using this, it is best not to use the sonic to download as it is setup to work optimally with OAX. (The only time most users will need use internet access on OAX is to register programs and for Wersi to do troubleshooting)
    If you wish to control the Sonic from a separate computer then use Team Viewer as it is already installed and setup on the Sonic. (This is how Wersi diagnose problems remotely)
    You should not need to alter any settings in Windows OAX to get the programs working; if you do then you are probably doing something wrong.
    Kontakt 6 is just a shell to which you add the library’s you have purchased and wish to use. (You do not need to load libraries that you have no use for even if they came with Kontakt 6)
    Have fun and you will soon have it working like a pro. (Average time is about 75 years to get the hang of it😁)

Bill

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi,

for all those who are interested.

This is what it looks like to download packages from NI. NI says that it is possible to relocate files (libraries) but first you have to install on the active machine (in this case the Sonic) and then the tool allows to relocate e.g. on an external USB drive.

BTW the screenshot is from my home office pc remote controlling the Sonic. Since I added rules for the Sonic and the respective connection Kaspersky is pleased as well 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by JK.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

..and here you can see the installed Kontakt software + Native Access.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Well, I see you are having a “Ton-o-Fun!” 🤓

For reference, I use Teamviewer to connect from Mac to Sonic. It (Teamviewer) also offers a file transfer utility that allows me to use the Mac for 90% of Internet-related activities and then move files to the Sonic across my Intranet.

On a side note, all the videos were shot using Teamviewer connection to the Sonic and recording the Teamviewer session using Screenflow on the Mac.

I need to go back and watch those Kontakt videos – I barely remember them. Keep plugging along you should be able to play some sounds by the time you read this?

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi guys,

finally it´s done. The integration of Kontakt works great! Just tested it for a few minutes and I would not miss it anymore. The sound of the factory instruments is very good (at least to my ears).

One additional story.Some time ago I bought a stand alone Vst instrument, a Harmonica. Now I asked the vendor whether I have to buy the Konatkt Version (which offers significantly more options) again or if it would be possible to get the Kontakt version for free. The answer was: no problem. You don´t have to biy it twice.A download link was atteched. That´s real service!

Cheers

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Great news! Based on some of your earlier posts, I wondered if you were using the free player or the full version of Kontakt. There are some decent sounds in the free Kontakt library, and we often use them in our recordings.

Should you want to venture deeper – Check out Moonkits from Sonicsouture for some killer brush samples and the guitars from Orange Tree Samples.

Matter of fact- We used Moonkits on today’s #tuesdaytunes – White Christmas

Enjoy!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Curt.
    Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

Hi JK
    There are many VSTs that will work with the Free Kontakt Player but there editing features will be limited, some on the other hand require the full version which is why it always wise to check first.

Kontakt itself is just a sound engine with its own OS to which you add what you want (You can even design your own VSTs to run on it if you are technical enough) just like you add whatever program you want to a computer OS, so multiple purchases are not necessary for most of the time, the exception is if Kontakt gets updated with new features (Its normally a number of years before a new version comes out which as you can upgrade to at a cheaper price then buying new is not really a problem) and the VST you are thinking of using needs these new features.

BTW: Have you seen Anthony’s post on the Entertainer Pack thread, as he seems to be having problems installing it on his instrument, and as you have already done so you may be able to help him out?

Bill

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi Bill,

as I mentioned I do not own Kontakt Player freeware verion. I bought the full version including the full factory library. Hence the Harmonica Vst is using it´s full potential 😉

I saw Anthony´s post. Surely I can reply. But urotunately I had no problems installing this extension pack. I hope I can remember what I had done…

Cheers

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi Curt,

meanwhile everything works as designed 🙂

But one question remains. You were setting up different racks for different MIDI channels in your demo video. I am wondering whether there is a way to duplicate a rack easily. Meaning: I am setting up a rack with different instruments for e.g. MIDI channel 1. Now I would like the same instruments in the same slot for MIDI Channel 2 and 3. Hence I have to copy the instruments again manually in the same position for the rack using MIDI channel 2 and 3.

It would be more convenient to “duplicate” the rack for channel 1 and adjust the MIDI channel to 2 or 3 and the duplicated racks. I hope you get the idea of my question.

Do you know whether this works and if so, how? I tried several things but with no result yet. Maybe I will ask Native Instruments directly.

Juergen

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

Hi Juergen

Save the bank you set up (With all your instruments in) then load the bank in again as many times as needed (Kontakt will automatically assign different channels) then when done just save the rack as normal.

Bill

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Good Morning Bill (it´s morning in Germany 😉

first of all: happy new year to you and to the guys in the forum. Sometimes organs make forget you everything around…

Back to Kontakt. Thanks for your quick reply. As always, very appreciated.

I was checking several forums dealing with Kontakt. They all say the same. Meaning you are obviously right and that´s a smart idea (even it´s a workaround to me). I just did what you proposed and it looks like it is working.

The next step is adding RAM. I am just cheking which RAM is to be used.

Best

Juergen

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Juergen – I fully understand your comment about hobbies taking over all of your free time. I have spent the past week diving into home automation, and every time I try to walk away, I find a new article to read or want to try just “one more thing.” It is consuming all of my free time, but I’m having a great time “tinkering.”

Good thing Bill is here to help us all out – Thanks, Bill

Great to hear you are making progress… Have fun!

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

off topic 😉

Hi Curt,

welcome to the club!

Fortunately I have already finished my home automation project. I was working on several projects simultaneously.

I am using Apple homekit. But as you might know, only licensed products are directly compatible. So I was looking a lot of youtube stuff and reading in forums. Eventually I did use my Raspberry Pi to get a bridge to non supported products. First I was setting up the Raspi manually but finally I used HOOBS. IMHO it´s a very nice solution. But it is definitely not comparable to professional solutions.

The real fun is coming when you continue to add devices from time to time. The day will come and something is not working properly. Then you have already fogotten all the things you did already when you started the project a long time ago…

But it keeps your mind in a fresh state (and maybe the blood pressure up) 🙂

Cheers

Juergen

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Ah! Very nice. Like you, we are moving off of Homekit. I can tell this will be an all-consuming project, but I agree with you. It helps keep the ole brain cells working. Homekit works just fine, but you have to play in their sandbox. From what I’ve run across so far, some folks go crazy with things they set up and configure. FUN!

Once we move into the new house (summer of 22), I want to dig a little deeper into additional sensors. At this point, all I’m doing is moving over a handful of smart bulbs (schedules, motion detection, and scenes over). I might pick up one or two sensors now to try a few things, but I don’t want to do much here that isn’t easy to undo and take with me.

JK
    Participant
    @joeyk

Hi Curt,

still off topic. But maybe there are some guys out there who might be interested.

I think you got me wrong.

I am not moving from Apple´s Homekit. It works fine for me and it´s very covenient IMHO. Hoobs is a bridge that connects sensors and all kind of stuff not licensed for Apple Homekit! Meaning you can use what ever you want. Just connect it to HOOBS.

You just have to connect HOOBS to the Homekit and everything can be controlled by Apple´s Homekit 😉 -> HOOBS Box is a plug and play hub that makes smart accessories compatible with your favorite ecosystem. Whether you prefer Apple Homekit™, Google Home™, or Amazon Alexa™, you’re unlikely to find compatible accessories and services that all work together nicely under one roof.

So I am able to use e.g. Ring or cameras not licensed (e.g. Reolink) or whatever you like.

You can run the HOOBS user interface on Macs and Windows PCs. You only need a Raspberry for the HOOBS server. And there you have as well the choice. You buy the plug n play set -> around 200 $ or you buy e.g. the plug n play SD card and use your existing Raspberry.

And: I do not get any money from the HOOBS guys 🙂

Cheers

Juergen

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Juergen – I did miss that detail. I’m only a couple of weeks into this adventure, and HOOBS wasn’t a name I recognized. I just spent a few minutes on their website. Interesting.

Let’s say today has not been a good day. I’ve been messing with HomeAssistant running as a virtual machine on my Mac. Sadly, no forward progress on that HA front, but learning by the hour.

After today – Maybe I will go back to Homekit! 😵‍💫

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Kontakt 6