Dynamic, expression pedal & volume curves

Forums Wersi Products Dynamic, expression pedal & volume curves

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

The latest User Manual section 7.3.3 covers these but I’m unclear about a few points and how to best use the different parameters/options :-

1 What does the “Volume On” one relate to ? Is it the overall / master volume of the Wersi (as per 4.13.4 on the left cheek block on the OAX800/1000)?
    If you turn this to OFF, what impact does it have?

2 “Expression On” – I assume you can amend the effect of the Expression Pedal for each individual sound and then combine them to get different relative volumes when using the Expression pedal (eg have strings as Linear curve, say, and choir as a Exponential curve) – is that right?
    If you turn this OFF, what impact does it have on a sound and its volume?

3 Volume On v Expression On – I’m trying to understand the inter-action between these two. Does the Volume On change the sound curve of the master volume of the organ and the Expression pedal then works within this range?

4 If both Volume On v Expression On are turned to OFF, what impact does it have on a sound and its volume? Does it stay fixed and, if so, at what default level?

I tried expermienting with the parameters but it wasn’t always obvious what the differences were.

Any advice very much appreciated!

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Paul – Are you talking about setting these options on the Sound Edit screen that comes up when you double click on a sound?

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Let me pick these off one at a time.

1 What does the “Volume On” one relate to? Is it the overall / master volume of the Wersi (as per 4.13.4 on the left cheek block on the OAX800/1000)?
    If you turn this to OFF, what impact does it have?

Checking the volume on/off option will disable /enable the volume drawbar slider on the top left of the organ for the selected sound.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Curt.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

2 “Expression On” – I assume you can amend the effect of the Expression Pedal for each individual sound and then combine them to get different relative volumes when using the Expression pedal (eg have strings as Linear curve, say, and choir as an Exponential curve) – is that right?
    If you turn this OFF, what impact does it have on a sound and its volume?

By checking the Expression box, you either enable or disable the expression pedal on the selected sound. If you uncheck it, you will find the expression pedal will not affect the sound chosen.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

3 Volume On v Expression On – I’m trying to understand the interaction between these two. Does the Volume On change the sound curve of the master volume of the organ and the Expression pedal then work within this range?

No, checking volume on/off for an individual sound does not affect the overall master volume. If you uncheck volume but leave expression checked, the expression pedal will still affect the sound within the boundaries of the master volume knob setting. Does that help?

Remember, these settings only affect whatever sound you assign them to.

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

4 If both Volume On v Expression On are turned to OFF, what impact does it have on a sound and its volume? Does it stay fixed and, if so, at what default level?

If you set both to off you are correct. That sound will now be “fixed” at a level controlled by the master volume knob on the right side of the instrument.

Paul
    Participant
    @paulb

Thanks for these Curt – very helpful

Yes – it was the settings within the Sound Edit screen.

1 “Volume On” – Ahh ! I hadn’t considered that the volume drawbar slider could be turned off as I couldn’t envisage how that would be useful in practice?

2 “Expression On” – OK – I can see how this is useful in keeping some sounds at a fixed level (eg piano with Expression OFF) whilst controlling the volume of other voices (eg string with Expression On).

3 Volume On v Expression On – Yes I understand now given the answer in 1

4 Both Volume On v Expression On are turned to OFF – again, I was struggling to see a practical use of this but I suppose it’s a variant to 2 where you can keep a sound at a fixed level while using the Expression pedal to control the volume of other voices?

If there are any more useful ways of using these to mix sounds that I’ve missed above, please let me know !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Dynamic, expression pedal & volume curves