DX Series

Forums Wersi Products DX Series

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob Turner
    Participant
    @robt816

This is going back some time (mid 1980’s when I built my Alpha DX350).

I would be interested to know if any other DX owners have added a separate audio input which is controlled by the swell pedal.  I am looking at using an additional keyboard, which can stand on top of the Alpha, but with the audio output from the keyboard mixed with the organ audio.  As I say I would like the Alpha swell pedal to control the volume of the keyboard (as well as the Alpha).  Have any other owners carried out a similar modification.  If so, would they be able to advise how this was done.

Thanks, Rob

Mark Robbins
    Participant
    @markrobbins

Hi Rob,

Assuming the Alpha DX350 electronics are the same as the Beta DX401, it is possible. My dad made the mod for me as I wanted 4 additional inputs to work that way. Max-1, OX7 drawbar module, Digital drum machine and Korg N5 synth – it was a great set up and worked perfectly.

Can’t tell you how unfortunately, as the Beta is long gone, but hopefully helps knowing it is possible and that you are not shooting at an impossible target.

Mark.

Rob Turner
    Participant
    @robt816

Thanks for the info Mark. Good to know it is possible, and that it was successful.

Rob

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

Hopefully this will post as it has less links in then when I tried a couple of days ago.
    Try Peter Armitage http://www.wersi.uk.com/ as he worked for Wersi in the 80s, (I believe he now works for Viscount) so should be able to help.
    It’s actually quite easy to do (Just remember the Alpha is only mono with a pseudo stereo output) but like Mark I can’t remember where to connect the cable as it was well over 30 years ago when I replaced it and built a CD instrument.
    Bill

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Bill. Reason: spelling correction
    Mark Robbins
    Participant
    @markrobbins

Peter is very knowledgeable on Wersi. He came and fixed a power supply issue when I had a Verona (probably around 2008). He lives in the North of England, but did an 8 hour round trip drive to fix it.

I last spoke to him in 2017, just before I purchased the Sonic, and he was still fixing Wersi’s then.

Rob Turner
    Participant
    @robt816

Hi Mark & Bill,

I have been in contact with Peter today and unfortunately this is outside his area of knowledge. Sadly, his colleague who would have dealt with this type of enquiry is no longer with us.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Regards

Rob

Mark Robbins
    Participant
    @markrobbins

Hi Rob,

You could try sending a question to the Replay Service team in Halsenbach

http://www.replay-serviceteam.de/

This is where the original Wersi factory was, and I understand some of the original Wersi engineers started this separate company to sell and service Wersi’s.

You may strike it lucky and find someone there who remembers the product line, or can read the circuit diagrams to tell you where to hook into and how.

On the Beta all I can remember was that we put a 4×2 phono block in a cut out on the back panel (which had some resisters on it) and then a cable going to one of the boards in the circuit board cage. I also remember us having to have an extra long cable (to avoid it being fouled when the roll top was stowed inside, and a connector so that we could still remove the back panel completely – I split and moved that beast 4 times!!

Good luck
    Mark

Rob Turner
    Participant
    @robt816

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did contact the Replay Service Team. Unfortunately they were unable to help as the Alpha is ‘too old’. This surprised me a little as their web site home page indicated that they can advise for ‘Wersi Instruments of all generations’.

I’m convinced it’s a simple mod just to add an input via a resistor to the LM13700 op-amp chip so I’ll perhaps try to discuss with audio Engineers.

Regards

Rob

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products DX Series