Don’s OAX800 w/Upgraded Speakers

Forums Share Your Studio Don’s OAX800 w/Upgraded Speakers

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

This is my music room with the new Bose L1 Pro8 speakers added to the OAX800. These speakers sound great! The Bose Pro line just came out in November 2020. Each speaker now has a sub-woofer plus the speaker stack that can be set at varying heights. I previously used the Bose L1 Compacts which I now use as back speakers that can be turned on/off.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Don,

Not sure how I missed this – Love it! I’m sure it sounds fabulous.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Don,

Looks very nice. I always thought the Bose L1 were a single speaker system (i.e. one tower) -but you seem to be showing a pair of towers. So have I misunderestood about the L1 or have you actually purchased 2 two complete systems.

Thanks
    Barry

Don
    Participant
    @wersi2020

Barry,
    Originally, I had two Bose L1 speaker towers. I wanted more bass so I purchased two of the Bose Pro line speakers that have the built-in sub-woofers. I have one speaker tower in each of the four corners of the room. The speakers with subs are in the front of the room. I can toggle between the front only speakers or front + back speakers. The Bose speaker towers can be set at different heights. Right now I have them at about 6 feet tall. The speakers within the towers point in different angles to disperse the sound. I have the internal Wersi speakers disconnected. I really like the sound.
    Do you have external speakers?
    Don

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Hi Don,

Thanks for the clarification.

No – I curently have an OAX600LS using the internal speakers with an added Yamaha Sub woofer on Allens Music Centre recomendations. The subwoofer has made a significant improvement to the sound quality – and if I forget to switch it on I certainly notice the difference.

Its actually hard to work out where I am unhappy. If I play typical Wersi organ sound registrations then its quite good. However, I think the problem is that its drastically lacking in treble definition. Note: thats not the same as lacking treble. I notice it mostly on things like acoustic guitars and electic pianos where there is a distinct lack of bite and definition that a real instrument would have. Here is an example of how I think it should sound:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN9oVx8LAws – but mine sounds like a duvet had been stuffed in it. Tweaking the parameters don’t seem to get me anywhere near this example or what I hear Wersi players do at concerts. It may actually be the same problem but – in addition – I feel there is a mudiness at the mid-lower end (almost like the reverb is far too high – it isn’t and its also there when the sub woofer is switched off). I consequently wonder if its either caused by inadequate internal speakers or some sort of room interaction.

I feel, therefore, that I need to consider external speakers. Price with reason is not an issue – but domestic harmony certainly is.

Barry

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

HI Barry

If you don’t want to go the room correction route (Such as Dirac Live) and as you already have a sub, have a look at the Adan AX range (The A7X being the sweet spot) https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/ as they offer great sound and value. (If you don’t like the Adams there are plenty of other pro speaker manufactures to choose from with Genelec also being highly regarded)

Bill

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Hi Bill,

Thanks again – I certainly will look at the room correction route as part of the whole isuse as I think it will improve matters. But ultimately you can’t make a “silk purse out of a sow’s ear” (as we say in the UK) – so I think it probably needs better and more direct treble units and I had certainly considered monitors.

Cheers
    Barry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Share Your Studio Don’s OAX800 w/Upgraded Speakers