Beginner question

Forums Wersi Products Beginner question

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nan
    Participant
    @nanm

Not sure if this is a dumb question, but you can let me know. I have inherited two Wersi organs. One is bigger and has significantly more features than the other. These are older instruments and likely not worth much, so I have decided to learn to play. Keyboards were not my thing as a kid, I can plunk on the piano, but I played clarinet. So, total newb here. My question is this – which would be the better organ to learn on; the smaller, simpler one, or jump right into all the bells and whistles? Or perhaps it doesn’t matter?

Curt
    Keymaster
    @immusiccm

Hi Nan,

First, welcome to the group! Can you tell us which models you have? Since you are new to them, you may not know, but do all the various features work on both models?

Assuming they are both fully (or at least equally functional), I would go with the bigger instrument. Don’t let the “more features” concern you for now. You can explore those later as you get more comfortable with the instrument.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Perhaps a photograph of the 2 instruments would help…

I agree with Curt – I too would go for the bigger instrument. You can always grow into bigger shoes, whereas smaller ones start to hurt once you grow a bit.

Barry

Nan
    Participant
    @nanm

I have no idea what models they are, but here are pics of the two organs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Nan
    Participant
    @nanm

Looks like only one pic came through. Trying again with the other.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

HI Nan

They are both the same organ (Part of the CD line from the late 80s) with the only difference being the size of keyboards and pedals, so just use the one that you feel most happy with.

Here is what you can achieve with them after plenty (Years) of practice https://app.box.com/s/zbrlzz95x3aho79049q3urdfbyhy9xvk

Not sure where you are but have a look for the Complete Organ Player self-teaching books by Kenneth Baker as they have started off many a professional.

Have fun

Bill

Nan
    Participant
    @nanm

@Bill, thx I will look for the books. Thanks for the link! The music is amazing.
    The organs were my mother’s, and she played beautifully but only for her own enjoyment. I wish I had had the foresight to record her. She started on a Hammond before I was born, and eventually fell in love with Wersi. It makes sense that they are the same organ. One she had in her home, the other in her “snowbird” home.

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

The organs are really nice quality – and will give great results.

The complete organ player is still available from Amazon UK (and would be a good choice for a beginner as Bill says) see:

Take a look.

However, I note they have quite a few copies in the secondhand/user section underneath the new at a much cheaper price and deliverable outside the UK- so it would definately be worth looking for second hand copies.

Barry

BGJay
    Participant
    @bgjay

Sorry – for some reason the amazon.uk link refuses to load into iMusic in my previous message. So go to the amazon [dot] co [dot] uk site and search for “Complete Organ Player” (book 1) .

Barry

immusic
    Keymaster
    @admin

Barry – I was able to edit your post and paste in the URL that you suggested. Not sure what the issue is/was, but it looks to be working.

Thanks for the post.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Beginner question