Accompaniment and chords

Forums Wersi Products Accompaniment and chords

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Muckelt
    Participant
    @cumbria50

My OAX-800 arrived 2 days ago after a wait of over 5 months and I’m just finding my way around it! I have a question about the accompaniments and the link to the lower manual chords being played. I’ve moved from a Lowrey Marqree where the lower manual chords being played and the instruments assigned to that manual follow the rhythm. I’m finding that on the Wersi the chords being played just sound as constant! I may have got something set incorrectly or is this how the Wersi works? Also, when using an STS are the mixer settings preset by the Style or do they reflect the physical slider volumes on the organ?

Thanks

Anthony

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Tony,

1. Check to see if you have LM Hold on ( lower manual hold ).

2. Press Mixer left of the STS icons on screen then on the right you have several chord detection settings. Volumes can be set for the style on same page which can be saved to the preset you are using.

3. When you select STS the volume of stops seam to be set for that STS = not sure where to change or if you can??

Will investigate etc. and get back to you…….

Regards,

Derek……

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Anthony,

Page 163 of Operating Manual.

The only way I can see at the moment is to select the STS then adjust the volumes as required then save as a whole preset.

Regards,

Derek……

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

HI Anthony
    Like virtually all instruments (Lowrey tends to do its own thing so may be different) whatever voice is selected for the lower manual will continue as long as you hold any notes down, (Unless like a piano the voice naturally decays) therefore if just want to hear the accompaniment you will need to turn off the lower voice(s) either on the panel or touch screen.
    If the voice continues after you have released the notes then follow Dereks advice above.

Mark Robbins
    Participant
    @markrobbins

Hi Anthony,

When you say constant, do you mean strumming etc of the same chord by the auto accompaniment, or do you mean just a constant sound from the selected voices for the lower manual.

If the first, then that is normal unless you have loaded a song specific style, whereas I know Lowrey have a lot more ‘twiddly’ bits in their styles. If the second, then it may be that you don’t have the accompaniment button turned on (very left of upper panel) or the volume drawbars set correctly. There is an auto accompaniment volume, and then a mix between drums and accompaniment, so essentially volume and then balance. There are 3 volumes that influence this on the 800.

You can also go into style edit mode and change accompaniment instruments, volumes of each, mute certain parts and much more.

I have had my 800 for well over 3 years now and still finding new stuff all the time.

Thanks
    Mark

Anthony Muckelt
    Participant
    @cumbria50

Hi Mark

Thank you. The first evening after it had been delivered the chord being played didn’t seem to strum with the rhythm. However, yesterday I tried various accompaniments and the chord do strum. Because of the available options the accompaniments that I used initially may have had specfic options set, or I may have had the LM-Hold, which may have affected things(?) At the moment I’m finding new things each time I switch it on! Things that others may feel are obvious, such as I realised last night that loading a preset fills all of the 10 preset buttons!

It’s early days but even now it is clear that the Wersi is so much more flexible than the Lowrey and offers so many opportunities for exciting setups.

Anthony

Bill
    Participant
    @abacus

Hi Anthony
    Most modern Lowrey over the last 20years or so have been designed to allow the user to sound great without the wait, so most of the features have been hidden from the user so as not to frighten them.
    Wersi & Bohm are the complete opposite, in that they have great flexibility but are not the most user friendly, (Although they are better than they were in the past in this respect) so you will really need to put some effort in to get the best out them.
    The best way to learn is by doing, so make a backup of your settings on a USB stick before you get stuck in, then you can experiment with all the sections one at a time to see what they do, knowing full well that if you do change something and can’t get it back, you can restore the instrument using your backup. (Making a backup before doing things is always a wise move just in case)

Bill

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Anthony,

Bills said some very wise words above. I also had a Marquee so I understand what you are finding. Give it another couple of years and you will only then start to understand how versatile the wersi is.

On another note – how are you finding the internal speakers?

Regards,
    Derek……

Anthony Muckelt
    Participant
    @cumbria50

Thanks Bill for your useful observations I think that the opportunities offered by Wersi are really exciting. Also, having been an IT manager before retiring the software isn’t a cause for concern and like you my view is try everything to see what happens!

Thanks Derek for the encouragement that I should understand how the Wersi works in a couple of years 🙂

So far the internal speakers seem fine, but I’ve only had it since Tuesday evening. Where the organ is located I don’t have room for external speakers. What are your views?

Anthony

Derek
    Participant
    @derekmatts

Hi Anthony,

I went from a Marqee to a OAX700 which I got a bit fed up with because at the time Wersi service was very hit and miss. Then I had only the external Vocalis speakers which I personally found were good. I have a single garage which I have sound proofed and converted into my man shed / studio. Then went to a Bohm which was a fantastic machine but so complicated even with the new software. That is still for sale on Allens website. I now have an OAX 1 with lower keyboard and 17 pedalboard which I find great as I can just pick up the top keyboard and put in the car. Also have a Genos.
    With the OAX1 I use the internal 60watt x2 set on a low volume then a pair of M Audio monitors 70watt which I place behind me. I did this with the OAX700 and found it made a real improvement to just the front speakers on their own. Maybe that would be your way to go if you wished to improve the sound of your OAX800 ( if Needed ).
    I do have a M J Acoustic Sound system 400watt ( 2x sats and 1x woofer ) but tend only to use this with the Genos.

Regards,
    Derek….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Wersi Products Accompaniment and chords